Thursday, August 25, 2011

A not so extreme couponer...

Yesterday was my first attempt at extreme couponing.  I think I failed. It took me over an hour to coupon hunt for the things that I needed for the week.  (While I want to spend the least amount of money possible, I am going to try to eat healthy.)  It seems that the the cheapest food is the most unhealthy.  If anyone ever finds coupons for fruits and veggies, let me know!  At the end of my trip, my receipt says that I had a savings of 36%, saving me $57.40.  I was pretty excited about saving nearly sixty dollars, but would like to get that percent up to 50%.  After I left the store, I noticed that not all of my coupons rang, and one item I bought rang up at full price, so next time I will pay more attention. 

Anyway, without giving you a play by play of my grocery shopping, you all should know how a little bit of extra time can save you a lot of money.  The lady behind me at the grocery store laughed when I said, "I just saved more money than I made at work today". . . I think she thought I was joking, but I wasn't. 

What a great segway to my next topic today.  I also started my new job yesterday.  What a change from teaching.  It was the first day of a new job, which is always a different kind of day.  Promotional marketing is really interesting, especially if you enjoy observing people.  It is interesting to see how different people give you different reactions when you are trying to show them something.  I think the stuff that I am marketing is really cool, and if people weren't so quick to say no and actually look, they would love it.  But, ce la vie.  Now I have to go get ready for day two!

1 comment:

  1. Don't sacrifice your whole foods just to save money with coupons! Buy produce that's in season and stock up on meat for your freezer when it's at great prices (I'm sure you already know those things).

    We eat mostly fresh produce and meat at our house. Coupons help me to purchase items to complement our meals (rice, pasta, soups, seasonings, etc.). I also buy some of the unhealthy foods (snacks, candy, ice cream), because we need treats once in a while, too! I also save a TON on cleaning supplies, paper products, health & beauty items, etc. Even if I never used a food coupon at all, it's still worth it for the savings we see on other household items!

    Great job with the coupons. Even a savings of 25% can be significant over the course of a year.

    p.s. I found your site because you entered my coupon giveaway. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete